Thursday, March 22, 2012

Trayvon Martin and Autism

My heart is breaking for the Martin family right now. A 17 year old boy was gunned down by a man who was tired of "them always getting away".

Trayvon was black

The gunman was Hispanic

The gunman has not been arrested.

How can this be? How can a man shoot another person and not have to answer for his crime? Because Florida has a law called the "stand your ground" law that allows someone to shoot a person if they feel threatened.

But I am white. So I have never felt the fear that many black people live with on a daily basis.

Until I learned more about how this law could affect my child, my family, because my son has autism.

Let me paint a picture for you: my son (who should be about 6'4" tall when fully grown) is in the mall, and wants to go to the pet store. I say no, triggering an explosive emotional response. He raises his voice. Maybe he tries to pull away from me and run. A bystander feels threatened, and.shoots.my.child.

Now do you understand? After justice is found for Trayvon Martin, this law needs to be changed before justice must be found for your kid, or mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment