Monday, April 4, 2011

Are you Aware?

Today will be a fun post, next time I will throw out tons of facts, etc.

I totally spammed my own facebook page on Friday. April 1st was the first day of April/Autism Awareness month. And while most people know "April showers bring May flowers". Well, for my family, it's the kick off day for "month 'o autism understanding".

I know, I know, the correct term is awareness, but sometimes, I think that term is a bit ubiquitous. I mean, my friends are aware of autism. How can they not be? It's on tv (thanks Parenthood, you saved my sanity), it's in the news, it's your best friends nephew, it's the celebrity in the commercial for Autism Speaks.

I am aware that the sun rises each day, but do I understand?

*Here is my soapbox*: It IS my job to help people "understand" what autism is. When I educate and tear down misconseptions about autism and what it means to be a family affected by autism, I am "becoming the change I want to see in the world" by helping people understand something that they themselves don't have a reference point for.

Yes I am militant about some things, but as a parent who wants my child to live in a world of acceptance, I have to be careful to not get jaded, and to continue to open my heart in order to change the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment